Serbian, etc.

Serbian is growing on me more and more. The funny thing is, learning this language was completely on impulse. The first Slavic language I was interested in was Bulgarian. I'm trying my hand at that one too, but I didn't add it to the list until a few months after Serbian, so I had grown a tad accustomed to the latter. There are similarities between the two (the Slavic languages tend to have a lot in common with each other, both in grammar and vocab, which can be beneficial when learning more than one), but also plenty of differences. And of course, I can't forget Polish, which I actually didn't like at all, but for whatever reason, changed my mind. To backtrack a little, I was talking about how similar yet different Serbian and Bulgarian are from one another. Adding Polish to the mix, here are a few features of these languages...
  • Serbian and Bulgarian are South Slavic; Polish is West Slavic. Despite this, Serbian and Polish seem to have more in common than Serbian and Bulgarian, at least as far as grammar goes.
  • Serbian and Polish use seven cases each. Bulgarian doesn't use cases, although I think they do use the vocative when addressing someone.
  • Serbian and Polish don't use articles, so no "the, a/an." Bulgarian uses the definite article by attaching special endings to nouns and adjectives, but doesn't use indefinite articles.
  • Serbian and Bulgarian seem to borrow more loanwords, making the vocab a tad easier than Polish, which is often quite different.
  • Serbian uses both the Cyrillic and Latin alphabet. Learning the two alphabets really isn't complicated, but I've noticed that I revert to the Latin a lot, despite the fact I like Cyrillic and don't find it particularly difficult, but when you're used to something, it's sort of natural to lean toward it. Bulgarian uses the Cyrillic alphabet; Polish uses Latin.
Those are just a few basic comparisons I could come up with off the top of my head. Oh, one thing I forgot is that Bulgarian supposedly has a nightmare of a verb system. I have to say that so far, Serbian verbs haven't been too bad. Not sure about Polish, but I expect it's similar to Serbian. I'm still pretty much in the beginning stages, so we'll see how learning three Slavic languages at once goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teach Yourself Slovene

Goodbye to Four

Portuguese Pronunciation (and Dominican Spanish)